Ulusaba, Private Game Reserve │ Mpumalanga
Ulusaba means “place of little fear”. That’s because the koppie where Rock Lodge sits provided the ancient Shangaan warriors with the perfect lookout point. Spend time at Rock Lodge and you’ll be flying with the eagles, or take a walk on the wild side back down to earth at Safari Lodge. In 2018, Ulusaba won Best Luxury Safari Resort in Travel + Leisure (India) and in 2017, was voted 3rd in Conde Nast Traveler's (US) Top Resorts in Africa.
Ulusaba is a family-friendly safari destination and most of our staff are Shangaan & hail from the communities that border the game reserve. Shangaans are celebrated for their dancing and singing and their rich musical heritage. Ulusaba has two lodges: Rock Lodge, including the beautiful Cliff Lodge, and Safari Lodge.
Your stay at Ulusaba includes accommodation at one of our lodges, twice daily game drives plus all meals and drinks including a top quality wine list and sparkling wines. Your mini bar will be restocked daily with drinks and snacks just in case you’re peckish!
Ulusaba can be hired exclusively! Whether for a milestone birthday, anniversary, company retreat or just a time to get away with friends and family, Ulusaba is the perfect setting. Your stay will be uniquely tailored; perhaps cocktails at sunset followed by tribal dances around a bush campfire or a safari themed child’s birthday party.
At Ulusaba, we have a private airstrip (ULX) and there are daily scheduled and charter flights available. Get a window seat - the view’s terrific! and your Ranger & Tracker will be waiting for you with a cold glass of fizz – the perfect way to start your experience at our luxury lodge.
Things to do at Ulusaba:
- Gym. Work out while keeping a lookout over the unique environment below. If you’re feeling fit, we have a running machine, bike, a multifunctional weight station as well as free weights for you to get rid of any stress & tension and get back to what you’re supposed to be doing, relaxing!
- Viewing decks. Enjoy some downtime, staring out over the bush from the top of Rock Lodge. Enjoy our telescopes and search the horizon for any activity
- Lounge. The lounge is a great place to enjoy the beauty of the views below. It’s a perfect spot to cosy up with a book, enjoy a selection of movies on the big screen or soak up the afternoon with a pre-dinner cocktail. A lovely spot for a romantic dinner on the balcony that extends over the granite rocks
- Wine tasting. Beneath the main lounge at Rock Lodge is our wine lounge showcasing the wide variety of vintages from South Africa and beyond. We can also host private dinners for six in this space
- Aroma Boma. Relax & unwind after the excitement of game drive with a spa treatment at the Aroma Boma. A whole range of treatments are available, from facials and massages through to those essential grooming rituals
- Safari walks. Take a safari walk with your Ranger and Tracker
Dining At Ulusaba
Dining is a very important part of your stay, and our chefs work hard from morning until night to provide the freshest and tastiest meals possible.
Here are just some examples of what your 'cubs' may get up to during their stay at Ulusaba:
- A welcome treasure hunt to help Cubs familiarise themselves with their surroundings
- A mini Ranger's course, finding out about the African bush, how to track and identify animal footprints and much more
- Safari walks around the Lodge to spot birds, insects, lizards and many other creatures
- Mini masterchef pizza and cookie making classes
- Arts and Crafts with coloured sand art & an afternoon of rock painting
- Traditional South African kids’ games
- Supervised pool activities
You may decide to wait until you arrive at Ulusaba to choose your preferred location, but here are just some of our favourites:
- The Lower Deck at Rock Lodge: Our most popular location with a view to die for! You can time it just right so you can exchange vows with the setting sun as your backdrop
- The Mabrak Dry Riverbed at Safari Lodge: A picture postcard setting surrounded by African jackalberry trees
- The Beach: A beach? In the middle of the African bush? Well yes… At the far side of Xikwenga Dam near Safari Lodge is an area we call ‘the beach’. We love this spot because it’s very exclusive - perfect for smaller weddings
- Xikwenga Dam: Another great spot at the dam is on the side banks; no one else can see you except maybe the hippos
- The Grassland Spot: A clearing tucked away in the bush close to Marula, our bush dinner site, and ideal for larger numbers
- Rock Lodge Lounge: An all-round winner! Large windows make for stunning views without losing the cosy atmosphere of this intimate space
- Safari Lodge Wine Cellar Deck: Safari Lodge has its own wine cellar stocked with a full selection of outstanding South Africa